According to a January 2018 report by the Pew Research Center, 68% of US adults use Facebook, 73% use Youtube, and 35% use Instagram. Social Media has become one of the best tools to target and communicate with your customers, clients, and fans, and it’s safe to say it isn’t going anywhere. So why should hotels include at least one social platform as part of their marketing strategy?
1. Showcase Your Hotel – With today’s technology, information is available at the touch of a button, and curious guests want to know everything about your hotel before they decide to book it. Social media platforms have become increasingly more visual; therefore, they are the perfect opportunity to show future guests how great your hotel is. The use of photos and videos give customers a glimpse of their hotel experience before they step foot on the property, and that plays a part in their decision-making process.
2. Less Advertising, More Engaging – Social media shows hotels in real time. With the ability to post about events going on at the hotel or share user-generated content from a happy guest, social media platforms are inherently more focused on engagement and can prove to be more effective than advertising. Hotels can share behind the scenes footage that guests might never see in an organized advertising campaign.
3. Connect with Guests – Social media platforms are a two-way street. Hotels are able to share content with their guests, and guests have the ability to like, comment, and re-share. This creates a community of engagement between hotels and their guests. Hotels can receive feedback, both positive and negative, and make adjustments to accommodate guests’ preferences and suggestions. In addition, hotels are able to harness user-generated content of happy guests posting about their great experiences to use on their own social media profiles.
4. Building Loyalty – The ability to engage and have conversations with your guests ultimately builds loyalty and keeps guests coming back time and time again. If a guest likes a specific hotel’s Instagram account, chances are they will look at that website first when booking their next vacation. In addition, future customers are able to see great content and great conversations built around a hotel’s social media, which will also influence their decision-making process.
5. Provide Added Value – Finally, social media platforms give hotels the opportunity to not only share about their own property but to also impart their knowledge about travel and things to do in their area. Travelers love to be inspired for their next journey, and hotels have the ability to provide them that spark and create a loyalty connection. Furthermore, the added value content helps keep a brand from appearing to be too sales-focused.
Social media gives hotels the opportunity to connect and build relationships with guests which keeps them coming back for more. So, what are you waiting for?